Corded Pintucks

If I was on America’s Next Top Model, tonight I would have been sent packing because I still have not learned how to find the light….

I would blame the photographer for not telling me. However, considering that I gave him about two minutes to take the perfect picture of my new Sorbetto it would be rather unfair. Here’s what happened:

Yesterday, I dragged my husband into class with me so that I could fit his moulage. I had every intention of going immediately home to get to work on this project but we wound up at the San Francisco Ferry Building and got very distracted with all the delicious food. We wound up at home in the late evening about ten hours after we originally left. I was just too exhausted and, like every good seamstress, I know that beginning a project tired can spell disaster. However, I figured that I’ve made the Sorbetto in under two hours and I could do it again. Unfortunately, I failed to remember that I intended on “lining” this one and this meant that I would be, essentially, making two! So my two hour project turned into a five hour project and I finished five minutes before my husband was leaving for a group bike ride.

I didn’t want to leave you all with an amateur photo so I after Kelley left, I took a few shots on the dressform.

Details:

Pattern: Sorbetto

Fabric: Cotton Voile from Fabric.com (about 2 yards in all)

Notions: 3 yards of 1/2″ bias tape, twin needle (3,0/75), and pearl cotton size 5

Cost: approx. $6

Notes: 

I have never made corded pintucks before, so I was pretty excited with the poll results. I read up on the technique in Fine Machine Sewing by Carol Laflin Ahles and tried my best to match the cording with the needle size. I think, though, if I were to do it again, I would use either larger cording or a smaller needle. This match doesn’t quite fill the entire tube.

 I made a little gauge swatch this morning to see how much the pintucks pulled in the fabric and found that with the size of needle and cording that I was using was taking about 1/8″ for every wale. I was going to manipulate the pattern to accommodate this but then it occurred to me that it might be easier and cleaner to pintuck the uncut fabric first and then cut the pattern after I was finished.

I constructed both tops separately and then staystitched the garments together before putting the neck and armhole binding on. If I had been thinking straight, I should have made the garment reversible but the lining’s wrong side is next to the skin. Oh well.

I must say that compared to my first Sorbetto my stitch-in-the-ditch is really improving.

I used french seams throughout and also a one thread dart. I learned this technique recently at my Sewing with Difficult Fabrics class and am just in love! The points don’t pucker and it’s really cleaning looking.

Construction-wise, I’m thrilled with this blouse. Design-wise, I feel like something is missing especially along the neckline. Do you see that? I’m going to play around with some embellishments this week and see if I can solve it.

I just wanted to thank you all again for participating in the Sorbetto Modification Poll. I have so much more respect for the ladies at Sew Weekly! Sewing on a deadline and with a theme is hard but I hope to keep up these little challenges. It think they’re really good for my creative spirit.

About these ads

7 Responses to “Corded Pintucks”

  1. Genius to make the pintucks first and then cut out the pieces!

    I voted for lace, but I really like the corded pintucks!

Trackbacks

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 393 other followers

%d bloggers like this: