Let me introduce to you the first two pieces for my fall/winter wardrobe – a green a-line skirt with a center button placket and a black cotton batiste shell with an inverted pleat. I’m beyond thrilled to have a start on my thirty pieces. Details are beyond the cut.
Last night my husband and I walked into town to grab dinner at the farmer’s market and then watch Super 8. I wore this ensemble so that I could give you all a review of the pieces.
Pattern: Self drafted
Fabric: Cotton/Silk (sells under the name Radiance) and Cotton Batiste
Notions: Shell buttons purchased at Satin Moon
- The color. I just cannot get over the richness of this leaf green and it has to be my favorite color of the year.
- The fit. I love the shape and the length – I will certainly be using the pattern for other skirts.
- The feel. It’s so soft and comfortable that it almost feels like pajamas.
- The fabric. You know how I said that it feels like pajamas? Well, that isn’t all good. For this cut, the fabric would have benefitted from a little more structure. If I had to do it again, I would underline with silk organza instead of the cotton batiste.
- The wrinkles. A silk organza underlining would have helped with the wrinkling also. After sitting in the movie theater for two hours both the front and back had some serious lines.
- The waistband. I’m still perfecting the waistband and unfortunately this one pulls, wrinkles, and bubbles. It’s pretty obvious especially with the satin shine.
Pattern: Sorbetto by Colette Patterns
Fabric: less than a yard of black cotton batiste leftover from the skirt’s underlining
Notions: 3 yards of 1/2″ bias tape
Time: 3 hours
I am so in love with this pattern! It took so little fabric and sewed up fast. I already have a half dozen versions in mind and I see sewing it up a lot more. I cut a size 6 in the bust and 10 at the hips and amazingly no fitting was required beyond that. I inverted the box pleat and left the bottom unstitched to create a blousier look. It’s very versatile and I anticipate it getting a lot of use in my fall/winter wardrobe.